Master Kit for 65-66 Mustang (Power Brakes & Cable Clutch System) Adjustable Cable Stop
MASTER KIT for 65-66 Mustang (Adjustable)
Not recommended to use with long tube headers.
As shown in the picture, includes:
PEDAL SUPPORT WITH BALL BEARINGS
CLUTCH & BRAKE PEDAL
POWER BRAKE CONVERSION W/ BOOSTER
QUADRANT INSTALLED ON PEDAL
ADJUSTABLE CABLE STOP / FIREWALL BRACE
Features found ONLY on the MustangSteve POWER BRAKE CONVERSION:
1. Revised Pedal Ratio – Less pedal travel required & modern car “feel”, (~ 2″ travel w/ ft. disc, ~ 1″ w/ 4 wheel discs)
2. Additional Firewall Bracing – Welds to pedal support, eliminates firewall fatigue cracking around the booster mount area.
3. 9″ Diameter Booster – Fox Mustang booster won’t fade out under repeated stops like other conversions using off-brand or imported booster. Plus, you can always get replacement parts in the future.
4. Factory Fit and Appearance – Fits better than the original 65-66 booster and works better, too.
5. Dual piston master cylinders fit with no clearance problems! – Original 65-66 boosters won’t clear, but this kit will!
This kit will allow you to modify your clutch pedal to a later model type quadrant setup for use in installation of a cable operated clutch, especially useful when installing a late model T-5 or Tremec manual transmission.
Unlike any other aftermarket cable clutch conversion, this fully welded quadrant kit offers several advantages:
- Welded construction will never come loose from constant use.
- No under designed clevis or other small parts to wear out or break (cable attachment points)
- Pulls the cable with a constant radius, unlike the single lever type – keeps cable pulling straight from cable housing.
- Transfers forces to the cable directly in line with the clutch pedal – no twisting motion to bend the arm.
- A whole lot cheaper to install – the do-it-yourselfer can build it for the price of a quadrant plus the cost of a new cable.
- Fits with the MustangSteve POWER BRAKE BOOSTER conversion (visit the Power Brake Conversion page)
- Fits with MustangSteve BALL BEARING CLUTCH PEDAL SHAFT Conversion (visit the Ball Bearing Clutch Pedal page)
- Virtually eliminates clutch chatter caused by loose clutch actuation linkage.
YES, it takes a bit more effort to install this conversion, but you already know that the easiest stuff is seldom the best.
This setup requires you to remove the clutch pedal and pedal support for installation of the quadrant.
You need to take the pedal out to replace bushings and get rid of those big springs anyway when converting to cable operation.
You will be rewarded by years of trouble free service and simple cable replacement access should you ever need to replace the cable.
The MustangSteve CABLE CLUTCH CONVERSION will make your car feel like a modern car with a smoothly operatingclutch.
NOTE: Later model 10″ or 10-1/2″ diaphragm type clutch is required.
FORD RACING King Cobra works great.
(10-1/2″ clutch requires late model bolt pattern on flywheel).
Using this kit with a Toploader or T10 Transmission:
The quadrant kit is designed to be used with a T-5 or Tremec conversion and a cable clutch. If you want to use the cable clutch
with an original Mustang standard transmission, you will have to do a little fabrication.
In order to make the cable clutch work with the original type bellhousing, you must install a cable type release arm and a new
pivot bolt (fulcrum) in the bellhousing. You will need a Mr. Gasket replacement fulcrum bolt and a Ford release arm from a 87-93
5.0 Mustang originally equipped with a T5. You will need to have an aluminum plate welded into the bellhousing and then thread a
1/2″ hole in the plate for the new fulcrum bolt. You will also need to fabricate a cable housing stop to go outside the bellhousing.
For more info on how to convert a scattershield or bellhousing from old style linkage Click Here, then scroll to the bottom of the page.
I buy used pedals and pedal supports from 65-70 Mustangs and Cougars. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have extras you wish to sell.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Will it fit my 4 wheel disc brakes?
The kit fits ANY TYPE or combination of drum or disc brakes, The instructions specify what master cylinder to use. Also fits any original 65-73 master cylinder.
What about Falcon and Ranchero?
Yes, with a bit of extra work it can be made to fit other applications, although not quite as easily as the 65-66. Extra work means an extra piece must be welded to the brake pedal in order to properly relocate the pedal pin.
60-63 Falcon must use original style master cylinder due to shock towers, or use Shelby style export brace with tandem master.
67-70 Mustang / Cougar – use the 67-70 Mustang/Cougar booster and pedal now offered by MustangSteve.
Will the tandem master cylinder clear the shock tower? What about clearing an export brace?
Yes, it clears the tower by about 2 inches, and is not even close to the export brace. (except on early Falcons and Comets, where the single piston master fits easily, but the dual piston requires use of Shelby style export brace.)
Will it fit a 351W with Heddman headers?
Yes, it clears with no problems whatsoever. You may have to remove the header to get the booster in place, but clears fine once bolted in.
Why will it not fit my car with original manual transmission?
The clutch actuation rod comes through the firewall in the exact spot where one of the booster studs must attach. If you are using a T5 or Tremec tranny with a MustangSteve cable actuated clutch, it will work fine.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.